Shooting Stars – 2012 witnessed 12 films from different parts of the country. Of the five prizes, the external jury deemed it fit that three films by MCMS students deserved prizes, and they did!
Rasheed’s Flying Bird (short fiction)
Abhishek & Yathin’s Tulunada Gharjane (short documentary)
Kiran’s Car Festival (Konkani film)
19 Mar ’10. Shooting Stars – short film making competition -this year had three categories – Best Short Film, Best Documentary, and Best Konkani Film. IIT Chennai won the first category, Fr Muller Medical College won the latter category, while there were no eligible films in the third category.
Along with Shooting Stars 2010, this year the MCMS students made it more colourful by launching first edition of Kaustubha, National Level Media Fest. It was Graaaaaaaaaaaaand!
See you next year again! If not, remind us sometime in September- October. We would love to have you in our campus.
deptofmasscommunication[at]gmail[dot]com or richiersj[at]yahoo[dot]com.
12 Oct. “Shooting Stars” is back. The students short filmmaking competition and film festival is back. This time it is at the national level.
Dept of Mass Communication at St Aloysius College offers both undergraduate and post graduate programs in mass communication. Since this year Shooting Stars is organised by the Post Graduate department of Mass Communication, we would like to involve all the students of undergraduate and post graduate disciplines (ANY subject ranging from language and literature to science and computers and commerce and business administration to hotel management & tourism …) in this prestigious and most awaited media events around.
So if you are a student, do crack your brains. Get your concept clear. And get set go….
1. Your entry can be either a short documentary film or a short fiction
2. It can be based on ANY THEME.
3. Duration: should not exceed 10 minutes
4. Vulgarity, obscenity or glorification of violence will not be entertained
5. Language: in ANY language! Shorts other than in English language should have English sub-titles.
6. Konkani films will have a separate category. Hence you could send in entries in a this special category.
7. Technical crew of the film shall not exceed FOUR members (the main team; assistants and artists can be any number)
8. A team can send in any number of entries. Registration feel will be Rs. 300/entry
9. Registration fee should be sent in DD form in favour of THE PRINCIPAL, ST ALOYSIUS COLLEGE, MANGALORE; and should be addressed to the Head, Dept of Mass Communication, St Aloysius College, Mangalore.
10. THREE DVD copies of each film should be sent to the organisers by courier.
10. Last date to reach your entry: 31 December 2008
11. There are two CASH PRIZES for the BEST FILM in general category and BEST KONKANI FILM
12. The crew of the films selected for the final round will be intimated by email/ phone before the festival
13. “Bonafide letter” duly signed by the head of the institution, certifying the names of participating crew as the students of the particular college/ university/ department should be sent along with the entries.
For further details contact:
Rev Dr Richard Rego SJ, Head, Dept of Mass Communication; 0-9448-5464-25 (richiersj @yahoo. com)
Saranya Valsarajan 0-9902-5188-53
Sajna Aravind 0-9945-4806-28
Sangeetha Gopi 0-9945-9231-25
OR visit us at:
[If you e-mail to us, please TYPE in the given email ID; not just copy & paste!
[Also, in the subjectline, please mention the reference: shooting stars]
28 Aug. Shooting Stars -2008-09 will be announced soon. The event is open to all the students all over the country. It is a national level event. Any college/ university student can participate in the event.
For more details, please keep visiting us on this blog & also on http://www.richardrego.wordpress.com. You may also find details on staloysius.edu.in.
The Competition results will announced during the festival to be held some time in February 2009.
11 June. Since this is an annual event, we update this page only when there is some activity starts – i.e., sometime beginning from September/ October each year. It goes on till March of the next year when the Shooting Stars culminates in the Short Film Festival and declaration of results of the same fest.
Well, when some short films are made outside this event, we will definitely update you, any time of the year.
29 Mar. Congratulations to Sandhya, Sindhu, Mahima and Shyamala. Their short film Roll of the Roll has entered the final round in the Article 19 – media fest of Manipal Institute Communication. They would keep their fingers crossed on 30th! Good wishes.
28 Mar. The concluding ceremony of Shooting Stars -2008 was held on 9 Mar in the teletorium, along with the valedictory of the 3-day National Level Cinematography Workshop. Mr Kasargod Chinna was the chief guest.
Lost in Sight by Harsharaj and Sandhya won the Sadananda Suvarna prize (Rs. 5,000); Meeting Destiny by Lawrence F and Sangeetha D and Wheels of Change by Sindhu, Madhuri, Mahima and Vineetha won the second prize (Rs. 3,000 each).
In all there were 12 short films and documentaries registered in the competition and festival.
13 Feb 2007: Shooting Stars 2007- is on the cards.
1. Get ready for 2 March – a special day for the Technical & support crew of the films.
Time: 12 pm, Teletorium.
There will be a short press conference for the filmmakers, folloewd by screenings and a modest treat…
2. Shooting Stars 07- for public & families of film makers, with results announced on 3 March 07, at 1 pm, in the Xavier Block Auditorium. Winners trophy will be awarded then. Keep your fingers crossed.
Shooting Stars – 2007 film submission dates have been postponed to 29 January due to examinations.
Shooting Stars is an ambitious project of the Dept of Journalism, St Aloysius College, Mangalore.
It provides a forum -opportunity, infrastructure, support, encouragement, and publicity- to young wanna-be-student-filmmakers.
The Competition of Short Films (5-10 minutes of duration) – registration to be done before 15 December 2007.
Competition will be followed by high voltage short film festival.
A team can register ANY NUMBER OF (but based on the BROAD THEME of the competition.
A team can consist of any number of people, preferably 2-5 (but it is upto YOU)
Non-Journalism students can also team up with Journalism students for assistance-sake.
For more info on Shooting Stars, please visit our post on 3 November, or search for ”
Shooting Stars” in the search bar.
Launched in 2005 (Shootings Stars-2006), the Short Fi lm competition and festival created headlines at the national level. An electrifying atmosphere was created at SAC and around!